Introduction to Expressive Arts Therapy
Strategies for Trauma-Focused Care
Expressive arts therapy is an approach to psychotherapy with roots in indigenous cultures and a rich history of evolution within modalities such as Jungian, person-centered, and Gestalt psychotherapies. Defined by its emphasis on the multi-modal process of healing (exploring many combinations for creativity rather than relying on just one art form), the strategies of expressive arts psychotherapy can prove useful to trauma therapists practicing in a variety of modalities. In this workshop, participants are oriented to the fundamentals of expressive arts therapy history and approach.
1. Describe the origins of expressive arts therapy (e.g., indigenous traditions, historical threads in Jungian analysis, person-centered psychotherapy, and Gestalt psychotherapy)
2. Define expressive arts therapy and explain its nature as a multi-modal, multi-art process
3. Explain the concept of grounding and why teaching it to clients is relevant in trauma-focused care
4. Implement an expressive arts process to teach grounding in a clinical setting (individual or group), using at least three creative art forms
5. Explain the concept of distress tolerance and why teaching it to clients is relevant in trauma-focused care
6. Implement an expressive arts process to expand distress tolerance in a clinical setting (individual or group), using at least three creative art forms
7. Develop a treatment plan appropriate for the clinical setting in which the participant works, utilizing expressive arts approaches alongside the participant’s primary approach to psychotherapy
Irene M. Rodriguez, LMHC, CAP, CCTP, Certified EMDR Therapist, Affiliate Trainer Institute for Creative Mindfulness, Certified TIR Trainer. Trained in Life Stress Reduction (LSR). Ms. Rodriguez has a private practice in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where she provides service to individuals with PTSD and trauma-related conditions.
CALENDAR OF WORKSHOPS
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
September 29, 2019 from 8 AM – 4:30 PM
Location: Universidad del Sagrado Corazón, Avenida Sagrado Corazón de Jesús, San Juan, 00912, Puerto Rico
To register and pay using PayPal or with a credit card: